Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do plant diseases die during the winter?

Posted by heirloomjunkie Zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 8, 09 at 20:19

I think I may have some form of wilt in my tomatoes. When I cut them down this fall, will the winter kill off the disease or will it just lay dormant until I plant in the spring? I don't want to use chemicals. Can I burn the affected area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do plant diseases die during the winter?

Ya most can survive winter. Wilt maybe from too much or too little water. In fall remove and burn dead vines, deep till (like plow or double dig) area if possible. Plant very disease resistant varieties next year.

o
RE: Do plant diseases die during the winter?

If the wilt is caused by a pathogen, then you have a long range pathogen problem. The moist common causes of wilt will persist in the soil and garden waste for up to 7 yrs. You will have to plant affected type plants in a different part of the garden next year. Pathogenic wilts are a progressive disease which will eventually affect the whole plant. Wilting caused by cultural practices will, if corrected, will disappear on new leaves. Your post did not elaborate much so you have to decide the cause. Unfortunately there is no cure for pathogenic caused wilts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here