Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stink bugs in containers....dammit.

Posted by Alisande Zone 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 19, 05 at 20:40

We called them squash bugs, and I battled them for years on the zucchini, crookneck, and winter squash plants. I haven't grown squash here in five years or so, so I really would have thought they'd stake out new territory. But today I found them all over my container-grown tomatoes, and the tomatoes themselves are a mess. I couldn't believe it. I'm so discouraged! I've taken such good care of these plants, and the tomatoes have been beautiful and delicious. Now large numbers of fruit are ripening, but most of them don't look like something you'd want to eat.

I've been reading posts about stink bugs, and apparently Sevin is the answer for some. Any opinions on its toxicity? Or more benign (to humans) suggestions?

Thanks very much!

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stink bugs

I just read this:

If only a few plants are affected, it is most effective to hand pick and destroy squash bugs and eggs. Another option is to place boards or shingles on the ground next to the plants. At night the squash bugs will aggregate under the boards and can then be destroyed each morning.

Not sure if the board idea will work with containers, but I think it's worth a try.

o
RE: Stink bugs in containers....dammit.

• Posted by suze9 z8a TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 19, 05 at 22:20

Stink or leaf footed bugs are tough to deal with. Sevin is one of the few things I know of that are actually highly effective against them. As far as toxicity, you'll have to make the call. Just be aware that it cannot be applied up to the day of harvesting (3 days pre-harvest interval for the dust, if I recall correctly).

As far as other suggestions go, some use diatomaceous earth dusted on the soil surface and the plants (for your safety it is a -must- that you wear eye and mouth/nose protection while applying).

Since you've already got them anyway, another one may be to grow some ornamental millet elsewhere on your property away from the tomatoes. I've had stink and leaf-footed bugs for years, but they always stay on the clumps of millet in the ornamental beds (the seed heads will always just be covered in the nasty things), and they just don't bother the tomatoes one bit. Purple Majesty is a particularly lovely variety.

o
Surround -- kaolin spray

Sat, Aug 20, 05 at 17:03

I had completely forgotten about SurroundWP until today when I was reading over on the vegetable forum.

If you do a google search, you'll see that stink bugs are one of the pests it is reputed to suppress (I've never used it myself).

Here's a link on its use for apples that is rather interesting:

insect IPM in apples

Here is a link that might be useful: Surround thread in vegetable forum

o

Thanks! I'll have to read up on Surround. Last evening I was startled to find these same bugs on my plums!

Do you suppose our extremely dry conditions are responsible for this?

o

Sun, Aug 21, 05 at 16:45

Do you suppose our extremely dry conditions are responsible for this?

I don't think so -- folks in Florida also have problems with stink and leaf-footed bugs and it's plenty humid there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here