Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silent_galaxy

Tomato Stem Growths

silent_galaxy
9 years ago

I decided to till up our old garden for the first time in years and planted a few different things in it. I planted three different variety's of tomatoes that are all showing a similar problem. Beefsteak, 4th of July Hybrid, and Gardener's Delight are the three I planted.

The problem is that the stems of the plants are huge (Nearly 2 inches across) and showing brown area, extra random growth, and primordia (roots are probably from humidity). See pictures

Some other problems include: Major Leaf Curl, Cat Facing, and BER (the tomatoes on ground are were all showing signs of BER).

I took a plant to some local nursery shops in town here and neither place could come up with a solid answer. They told me that the stems of the plants are growing to fast and causing the outside layer of cells to burst and brown over. The cells inside the stem were all fine (I thought it was pith necrosis), no fungus or bugs were to be found.

I used a scotts 10-10-10 slow release fertilizer, and bone meal when I planted. Is this problem from to much fertilizer?

I assumed the leaf curl was due to the wet spring we had, and the BER was due to me not watering because of the leaf curl problems. Now that I have a consistent watering schedule the BER problems seem to be going away but the leaf curl is getting worse.

I tried a copper fungicide on one plant just to see if it would help with the stem browning but it had no effect.

I can't seem to find any help online and am completely lost on what to do. I have more pictures but it seems I can only add one.

Comments (3)