Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes have some weird disease I guess...?

Posted by jimsocal southern california (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 9, 09 at 21:19

Guess we're going to have to give up on growing tomatoes on our balcony. Last year it was white flies, this year some weird disease...

I'm posting a photo so you can see what I'm talking about. Is there any hope for this plant?

ALL the tomatoes on this plant so far (3) have had this symptom. They look so beautiful from above and then below they have this....?

Any ideas, suggestions? Or should we just fold it up and go home? Oh wait, we ARE home. Well you know what I mean...

By the way we are using big 20" pots and we used all new organic soil and have been fertilizing with Schultz. This is in Los Angeles. The picture of the plant was from about the time when we picked this bad tomato, a week or two ago. Since then the plant looks worse, many leaves are dried up, but it doesn't really look "sick" to me, just dry. (even though I'm watering it a bit every day, more every coupla days)

Image link: Tomatoes have some weird disease I guess...? (54 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
p.s. 2nd photo of plant with weird disease or ?

Here's the photo of the plant. If you need I can post a current one that shows it in a more deteriorated state, though as I said, not too bad...

Here is a link that might be useful: plant that grew the weird tomato

o
RE: Tomatoes have some weird disease I guess...?

Looks like blossom end rot to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blossom end rot photos

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 0:45

Yes, blossom end rot (BER).

See the Tomato FAQ for info
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/tomato/

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato FAQ

o

Thank you so much for that diagnosis!
I read the FAQ given and it sounds like it could be caused by many things. I suspect that I may have over-watered and perhaps should not have used Shultz 10-15-10 every other day...? even though it said on the label it was okay...

I'm going to start another thread to ask if there are any particular things I can do now. Again, I read the faq and it recommended some things, which I will try to do, but I want to know if anyone has actually had success with one thing or another. Again, thanks for your help!

o

Thu, Aug 13, 09 at 1:52

You said "it sounds like it could be caused by many things"

Yes. Anything that causes the roots to function less than normal.

Success follows maintaining evenly moist soil.

o

I concur, you have blossom end rot. Curable.

o

My neighbor has BER and my guess is that his soil has a calcium defficiency and too much nitrogen due to overzealous feeing.

o

Mon, Aug 24, 09 at 23:32

The soil can have plenty of calcium and the correct amount of nitrogen and still have blossom end rot.

The reason: uneven water supply. Or a hot spell during which water is lost via transpiration faster than the roots can absorb it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here