Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inpersimmon

more yellow leaves

INpersimmon
18 years ago

I have more yellow leaves on all of my plants, some are turning brown and beginning to fall off. Fruit production is still occuring but less and less each day. I will try again to include images. This is a container garden, 5 separate pots ,plants include(sun sugar, yellow pear, grape, golden girl and sweet millions). I will try again to post images.

Image link:

Comments (16)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

I have more yellow leaves on all of my plants, some are turning brown

Why is it when your post is fully loaded the word plants, above, turns green and has two lines under it and when the mouse pointer is held over it it's an advertisement.

All such advertising at GW is strictly banned and each person agreed to that when they became members.

Here is a portion of the info re Businesses Using the Forum:

(Advertising, in any form, is strictly forbidden in forum messages and on member pages. This does not mean that as a business owner you cannot use the forums or have a membership. It means you cannot use forum messages or your member pages as a means of advertising. Even our paying advertisers are not allowed to that.)

Carolyn

• INpersimmon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have viewed this image from other computers and am not finding what you are talking about in reference to the green lines under the word plant and the advertisement it reveals when the mouse pointer is dragged over it.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Does anyone else see that the word plants is green with double lines under it and when you put the mouse pointer on it the message in a window below appears:

SPONSORED LINK what's this?
    Just Flowers Has Plants
    Just Flowers has more than just flowers, we've got everything you need to help you send that message to a special someone: flowers, balloons, gift baskets and more, with secure ordering.

( I deleted the web address that was at the end.)

The person who posted this just wrote to me and says he/she can't see what I see and was very concerned.

So please, would others of you take a look.

And if others can also see it, and BTW I have daily spyware and virus checks and am clean but it would have to be from the poster's side when typing that something could happen, not my just reading, then I think the poster should contact the webmaster and ask for advice.

I'll tell you, how things get the way they can get to be these days is way beyond my understanding of computers, that's for sure.

Carolyn, who rechecked when she just came to this thread again to post and the word plants is still green with the message I cut and pasted to this post when the mouse pointer is held over the word plants.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Problem Solved, we've been invaded.

The minute I saw the same thing in the regular tomato froum and asked there and saw the answer below I cut and p[asted it to bring here.

I guess I do see them b'c I am a contributing member, per the post below.

(It's "IntelliTXT" context advertising. It just started showing up yesterday, although users of other forums at GW, who are not contributing members, aren't seeing it.
    Watch the status line at the bottom of your browser, and you'll see the spam loading. Hover your cursor over one of the double-underlined link, and you'll see a "What's this" link, Follow the link, and it's explained. There are also opt-out and feedback links, but I can't get them to work, either in IE or FireFox.)

Thank heavens this was solved and I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions IN but never have I seen anything like this before.

Carolyn

• dgbeig
    18 years ago

Not only does his/her posting look fine, but the picture looks very much like what is happening to my plants.

I posted a note with pictures but only got one response.

I have searched endlessly on this web, looked at the problem solver picts and still none resemble mine as much as the picture and note above.

I also wanted solutions. What can I do to stop this? What are my options?
    thanks
    Dana

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    18 years ago

I have a similar problem; yellow leaves, no spots, no wilt. My yellow is on older leaves, starts at the base, some green around veins, then "burns"/ browns when process completes. I've thought Nitrogen, iron, Mg or calcium deficiency and fed the plants, but feel it must be something with the roots affecting uptake.

• mulchwoman
    18 years ago

I am having the same problem here in New Jersey. I have my plants in ground (not containers) and they had been doing really well. I planted Celebrity because of a wilt problem in my soil and it's not that. I know it's not a nutritional thing either because other types of plants are OK. It's not a water problem as the soil is moist under the hay. The yellowing starts at the bottom and works its way up the plant. They are looking very played out now. Quite a few green tomatoes, but I am worried that I will lose the plants before they ripen. I'm at a loss for this one.
    Pat

• tomstrees
    18 years ago

i've npticed the "underlinning" as well - its weird - like seeds - and plants - and other words are underlined when in paragraphs ~

ps. I have yellow leaves too ~

• jleek
    18 years ago

I have seen it too! Just today I think. Sorry, but I am a non-paying member- so that beats that theory

• diana1b
    18 years ago

I have been trying to figure out what this is, too. Possibly salt retention?? My tomatoes are doing the same thing. Leaves turn yellow near the bottom of the plant and works it way up the center. Plenty of fruit on the vines, but I, too, fear losing the plants before they ripen. Does anyone know what this is and how it can be fixed, if at all?

• dgbeig
    18 years ago

After looking at dozens of pictures online and reading as much as I can....
    I agree it could have something to do with intake from the soil.
    Either salt retention, or inability to take up nutrients....
    Most of my plants just don't fit the pictures or descriptions.
    Vericullum wilt is my only other suspect.

Yellow leaves started at bottom, but are quickly working their way up on at least two of my four plants in the ground. (The potted plants look fine.)
    Now im also getting full wilt on extended stems....many that have small clusters of flowers....they just turn brown and get soft and die.

I went to the nursery to buy fungicide but the guy told me not to bother.
    In our weather (San Fran) and this late in the game, it wouldn't do much.
    Just to wait and hope some hot sun comes and gives some new growth and life. He also recommended (usually a no-no) to give a little nitrogen (i mentioned fish emulsion) to see if some new leaf growth can overcome the disease.

suggestions? ideas? thoughts?

• odeed
    18 years ago

im having the same problem here (bakersfield)and so is everyone i know who is growing here.the two problems i can see are:
    1.heat:its been over 100 for 39 days straight here
    2.its late in the saeson:most people plant in march here,and now its aug.the plants are just starting to get old.

my only plant that produced (which is now about 7 feet tall) is all dead about half way down.so i decided to pick all the 'maters off (most were just starting to ripen)and ill ripen them in the house in a brown paper bag.i fear in about a week the whole plant will be dead.

• zucchini
    18 years ago

okay...no answere to the yellowing leaves...but yes I do see the ad with the green lines under it..never saw it anywhere else before...but then, if I did I might not have moved my cursor over to it...sneaky ads,sorta like some of the spots showing up on leaves...martha/zucchini

• deessenyc
    18 years ago

Also in NJ, 8 foot tomatoes with same bottom foliage yellowing and then brown/curling. I hve tried a treatment for V. Wilt and can't say yet whether it's working. Great fruit production still, thought maybe it might just be natural aging since this is an annual?

Also have varied the watering since I'm new to this and started out doing it daily and was told to move to 2-3 days... Any insight from the fellow NJ folks on how often they water???

• killawale1979
    18 years ago

im in australia and have had the same problem for some time and while the plants continue to fuit they do eventually end up free of any foliage and they die its a confusing and frustrating problem hope someone can come up with the answer

• suze9
    18 years ago

im in australia and have had the same problem for some time

Yellow leaves can be caused any number of factors, so I suspect that the folks that posted in this thread don't all have the same problem.

and while the plants continue to fuit they do eventually end up free of any foliage and they die its a confusing and frustrating problem hope someone can come up with the answer

Since I see that you started your own thread regarding your particular problem, I'll comment in that thread.