Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New bug this year to ID

Posted by gardengalrn 6KY (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 12, 05 at 22:48

I've looked through several sources with no luck. Another pest has emerged this year, new to me. Rather large and winged, some look to be 1/2" to 1" long. Black with some white markings and they look like a cross between a beetle and a hornet. Longish legs. They seem to be eating the foliage and leave large black and green droppings that look like a worm should have left them. I'll keep looking but wondered if anyone had any ideas off the top of their heads? Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New bug this year to ID

Might be a leaffoot. Check out the picture in the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: leaffoot bug

o

Thanks, nctom, but that's not it. The body is more like a hornet type shape somehow. I know I'm not giving very good descriptions. I'll try to get a pic Monday when I'm not working all day. Lori

o

Sorry, Leaffoot are common around here. I kinda felt you were probably familiar with it too.

Anyway I'll keep thinking.

Take care.

o

Does the bug look like it has paint spatters on it? And are there white markings on the antennae? If the answer to both of them is yes, it could be an Asian Long-Horned Beetle which is bad news for your trees. If it has just the paint spatters but the antennae are solid black, it could be a Sawyer Beetle, which is not a bad bug.

o

Just a guess. Does it look like this or more like a beetle?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bald Faced Hornet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here