Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunslight

terminal ends of all tomato plants, eaten.

sunslight
9 years ago

This evening I went to water a tomato plant that is near the house. I could not believe my eyes. The growing tip as well as the terminal end of each branch from the main stem has been eaten away. Sheared off on at an angle. It looks as if something stood there and went around the plant eating every tender part of the branch and then munched off the top. For all practical purposes, the plant has had it. It was not this way yesterday. --the plant is about two feet tall.

Then, I went to the main garden area about 60 feet away. There I have two 25 foot rows of tomatoes. The very same thing--something, got every plant. Every one of them, exactly the same: top eaten off, and end of branches where the leaves are tender, gone. Overnight, I lost 24 plants.

Any ideas? If snails, I would expect at least a few plants to be spared. There are birds in the yard going to the bird feeders and I have seen a few in the garden doing dust baths-- the birds are Quail, Doves, sparrows, magpies. If I had chickens I would blame them. But, I don't see how something like that would be able to reach each and every branch of every plant.

So, no tomatoes for me this year. Any ideas on what could have done this? deer? but I haven't seen any of those since the spring. I am really disappointed.

Comment (1)

• growneat
    9 years ago

Sounds like deer to me. They probably came at night. Go out and see if they left any tracks.