Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interval between spraying Daconil and Blossom End Rot Spray

Posted by opus743 7b, Raeford NC (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 2, 10 at 23:04

Hi folks,

I have been gardening for 30+ years and this is my worst year ever. I got back from Afghanistan in late April and got everything planted late. My plants were thriving in May (cool evenings and good rain) by june the high heat and lack of rain set in. For July we went into drought mode for 10-14 day periods followed by 2-3 days of torrential downpours. So you already know the blossom end rot kicked in and the humid nights which followed caused some form of fungal problem, most likely a blight.
I spray my tomatoes with a blossom end rot preventer after each heavy period of rain not to exceed 2x per month. Tonight I sprayed a generic Daconil (Clorathalonil) as a multi disease treatment. 2 questions:
1. what is the recommended interval I should wait befor spraying blossom end rot spray again?

and

2. what is the preharvest interval for daconil?

If it matters to the reader, my varieties are:

Opalka (on the verge of dying)
Roma VF (holding their own)
Big Boy (early stages of blight)
Celebrity (holding their own too)

Look forward to some great replies; thanks for your time

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interval between spraying Daconil and Blossom End Rot Spray

The label will tell you the preharvest interval for daconil. It's sometimes abbreviated as PHI.

As for blossom end root, sprays don't help, but consistent soil moisture will.

o

Jean,

appreciate the reply. I am using a generic Cloratholinil (sic) the label does not show a PHI. I am more concerned about how long of a wait before I can spray with CaCl solution which, down here in the sandhills works very well as long as you use it regular yet sparingly. Thanks again for your time

o

Cholorothalonil has a PHI of 0 (that's zero) days when applied to tomatoes, according to the University of Wisconsin.

I don't know of any interaction between chlorothalonil and CaCl, so I suspect you can spray both in the same day (wait a half day to make sure the spray is fully dry). Given that chlorothalonil acts as a barrier, I'd spray the CaCl first.

I've never heard of calcium chloride actually having any effect against BER, but if that's your program and it seems to give results, more power to you.

--Alison

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here