Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katib_gardener

Help! I think I have whiteflies

katib_gardener
15 years ago

Newbie gardener here, left town and came back to plants with yellow leaves. It keeps spreading, I think it's whiteflies after studying the problem solver and searching for other posts. One thing that I can't seem to figure out is what this is:

I keep finding this stuff on stems, kind of like a gooey white oval thing that is smush-able. I googled whitefly larvae and didn't see anything like that, and from what I can tell the larvae are under the leaves and much smaller. I keep reading about this "honeydew", don't know what that is? Could it be that? Note that I did use some shredded paper as mulch, but it's well covered up with shredded cedar and each time I find one of these things they look the same, so I'm pretty sure it's not paper.

Also, if anyone can confirm my issue, can you also suggest some solutions? I've tried neem, insecticidal soap, and today I finally went hardcore and used Sevin (I think that's the name). I can't seem to keep them under control and I'd rather not kill all the good insects while I'm trying to get rid of these buggers.

Comments (4)

• katib_gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

One other thing I should mention is that I'm in Tucson, AZ. I don't think I've ever seen a ladybug the whole time I've lived here, not sure if they survive in this climate. I have spiders but they don't seem to be keeping my problem under control.

• jean001
    15 years ago

Looks like a mealybug. But I've never seen them on tomatoes grown outdoors. Where is your plant?

• katib_gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All of my plants are outside in containers. I've found these things on the stems of a bunch of the plants (probalby 1/4 to 1/2 of them), sometimes pretty far up from the soil. And they seem to be on the plants that have white flying bugs when disturbed.

Also, I have had a lot of flies as well, like the common housefly. But they aren't that common at all in this part of the country. Lived here 7 years and can't remember ever swatting a fly. Don't know if the flies are related or not.

• dsoyke
    15 years ago

I live in Florida and I believe I have the same problem pests. My plants are in large veranda boxes on my fourth floor balcony. I've noticed small white bugs that look very much like little white potato bugs (or pill bugs), as well as tiny white and brown bugs. The tiny ones are hard to see unless you look very very closely. There are also little white sticky fluffy things. The best way I can think of to describe them would be, little white sticky cocoons with a creamy yellowish center. The little cocoons are usually about the same size or a little larger than the white bugs I've seen moving around. I haven't noticed any unsual flying insects on or around the plants. I have taken the time to carefully check all of the plants, removing infested leaves and branches, only to have them return in a matter of a couple days. I seem to find them primarily on the undersides of leaves and on the stems of the branches, where the branches are closest to the main stem. An oddity I've noticed is that I haven't really seen them on the flowers or buds, or even near them. Yet they either turn brown and fall off, or they just fall off. I've had 4 or 5 buds and flowers on one branch, and within a day or two they all have fallen off. I've found them on the dirt still green. I haven't had a flower survive long enough to even start becoming a tomato in months. I'd love to know what theese little bugs are and how to get rid of them. If anyone can help please let me know.