Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thefriedlands

Is this blossom-end rot? (picture)

thefriedlands
13 years ago

We're gardening newbies, and today we had a very strange incident with our first tomato from our Early Girl plant. It looked perfect  red, round, flawless  and it smelled great. However, when I cut it open, I found this:

The skin layer and the inner part with the seeds were much easier to separate than I would have expected, and the inside looked dry. (The picture shows the inside part  the outer layer came right off.)

I've seen a few posts that lead me to believe that we might have blossom-end rot. My questions are:

1. Do we in fact have a blossom-end rot problem, or is it something else?

2. Will we have the same problem with every tomato from this plant?

3. If so, I have read that we should check our irrigation system to make sure that it is working consistently. Is it worth trying to fix calcium levels, etc. for this plant, or should we pull it out? We have a bunch of other kinds of tomatoes (as well as cucumbers, zucchini, herbs) in the same (large, obviously) planter, and resources are at a premium.

4. By the same token, are we likely to have the same problem with our other tomatoes? There are a ton of large, green tomatoes growing in there, and it would be really tragic not to get to eat any of them this year!

Thanks for your help!

Image link:

Comment (1)

• jean001
    13 years ago

Yes.

The FAQ in the Tomato Forum (top of that page) talks about BER and that it can be internal as well as external.