Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suburbangarden

Tomato leafhoppers?

suburbangarden
13 years ago

Hi all,

This is my first time posting here, and have done a search of this site only finding one similar topic that *may* have been describing the bugs I am seeing. The pictures and descriptions I'm seeing of other leafhoppers doesn't fit here...

We started out this past April planting about 13 various tomato plants but have had only an "okay" tomato crop (mostly the smaller varieties like Romas, cherry, and yellow pear tomatoes... our heirlooms haven't fared nearly as well) compared to last year. As the plants recently started dying off, we started noticing more and more of these green triangular (almost "buffalo-like" in profile) leafhoppers completely infesting the dying plants.

I'm guessing that these guys are responsible for killing off our plants, but our organic pesticide (seems to be mostly oils) doesn't seem to be doing much against them. We just tore out the majority of the plants this weekend and are looking to try another planting for the winter (heard of it being done), but want to be sure to get rid of these leafhoppers prior to planting. Since we really need to plant soon, I was hoping to get some feedback on control.

Has anyone else been having problems with these guys? Are there any suggestions for safer pesticides to use on them (organic if possible)? I love having home-grown veggies and fruits, and have a salad green garden, orange tree, some mellons and squash growing in close proximity.

Thanks a ton!

Image link:

Comments (2)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus