Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
red2oak

No Fruit

red2oak
18 years ago

About 2 months ago I planted (started inside until 6" tall) 3 types of tomato plants Cherry, Celebrity and Beefsteak they've been flowering for awhile but none are produceing fruit The Cherry tomatoes are thriving and are the biggest plants followed by the Celebrity not as big but looks healthy and the Beefsteak's that are smallest, the lowerleaves were wilting and curling up which I sniped off. In the picture the left row starts with a Beefsteak then 3 Cherry tomato and a Celebrity the right row starts with a Beesteak (just planten a week ago)another Beefsteak and 2 Celebrity.Is this the way these varities grow? and how long from flower to fruit?

Image link:

Comments (4)

• suze9
    18 years ago

About 2 months ago I planted (started inside until 6" tall) 3 types of tomato plants Cherry, Celebrity and Beefsteak they've been flowering for awhile but none are produceing fruit

If you're experiencing daytime temperatures in the 90's and nighttime temps in the mid 70's, it's too hot for the plants to set much fruit. The heat makes the pollen sterile. One thing you can try is to shake the plants early morning. The vibration will sometimes help some of the blooms pollinate. Don't expect miracles though, you may get some to set, but not a lot.

Try to keep your plants in good shape for now, and when temps drop, they should start setting fruit.

Smaller fruited varieties will tend to set a bit better in hot weather. Just about any cherry type (I like Sungold, Sugar Lump, Sweet 100, Black Cherry) or small fruited types (Stupice, Juane Flammee are nice).

The Cherry tomatoes are thriving and are the biggest plants followed by the Celebrity not as big but looks healthy and the Beefsteak's that are smallest, the lowerleaves were wilting and curling up which I sniped off.

Celebrity is a determinate, so it's going to be a smaller plant. Cherry and Beefsteak are general terms that describe a fruit type, and are not varieties per se. For example, Sweet 100 and Galina's Yellow are cherries. Crimson Cushion and Cherokee Purple are beefsteaks. Etc, etc.

Cherry varieties tend to be rather large plants for the most part, but there are some exceptions.

I'm going to attach the link to the FAQ below, which explains about differences between determinate and indeterminate varieties. You'll also find information about blossom drop, as well as other helpful hints for growing tomatoes.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing tomatoes

• cportu
    18 years ago

Give it some time. They'll start setting fruit soon.

• kris
    18 years ago

I can really sympthsize, I planted about the same time as you. I have blossoms but not one fruit :(. "poor fruit set if...night temps fall below 55 or rise above 75 or if the day temps are above 90"

Well a week ago we were hitting 105 in the day, Yesterday high was in the low 90's, Today High 70 Low 49.

I don't know if the weather will ever be right for fruit set.

I'm from central Fl so I promise you, your weather will even out and you'll have a great fall/winter-expect the first real cool snap around halloween. As for me, I'm new here and I've never seen the weather be so up and down from day to day. I'm so confused.

• macnewsboy_comcast_net
    15 years ago

In Sacramento, my indeterminates (5 varieties) are also not producing much fruit. We had a real hot spell, up to 108 degrees, so heat may have been my problem. I will try shaking the branches in the morning. As someone wrote earlier, the determinates (smaller plants) seem to do OK.

It's a lot like raising kids. You do everything you can, but there are others forces at work!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!