Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanyal55

Tomato rotting from top??

tanya47
13 years ago

Tomatoes in raised beds, every year getting worse, I do legumes in the winter, fava, peas etc. And I really have no choice re rotating crops, as this is the only space I have. After this year, thinking giving up on tomatoes, but there are people in my area who have GREAT backyard tomatoes using the same space repeatedy EERR.

Anyways this year I kept the powdery mildew in control using the Cornell spray formula. I experimented using the serenade fungus spray, on three plants , and those were the ones that gave up the ghost first!

Symptoms are, good beginning growth, til about 24 inches tall, then wham, very little grow, slow set, and die off of leaves and flower sprays. The few tomatoes that set and grew to normal size are hit with rot from the stem end just before ripening.

It has been a cold and foggy summer here this year, so

we did try oregon spring, SF fog etc. They did no fruit at all. The best growers were the zebras, a few brandywines, chocoate cherries, and lemon salad size.

What disease causes that type of fruit rot? I can post pics, but I bet someone here knows without even seeing more phtos of sad tomato plants,

thanks for any advice!!

Comments (2)

• jean001
    13 years ago

Please post the pictures.

• Rachel Lindeman Butcher
    6 years ago

It sounds like sour rot, if there is a sour smell that's what it is. This is caused by a bacteria

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio