Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heirlooms - dusty brown 'rust' problem?

Posted by jtomalley CA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 17, 06 at 14:14

I cannot find a picture or description that fits this problem -- it started as a white "angel-hair" covering on the lower leaves and stems of the tomato plant, and now it looks like a rust-colored or brown dust on the leaves and stems. The entire lower part of the plant is fading, but the upper branches are still green and fruiting. Does anyone know what this is??

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of sick tomato plant

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heirlooms - dusty brown 'rust' problem?

The "stippled" appearance of some of the leaves may indicate insect damage. I'm particularly sensitive to this because I treated for foliar disease for two years before discovering I had a spider mite problem. Some insects, like spider mites, are practicaly invisible.
Hold a piece of white paper under a branch above the damaged ones and shake it sharply. If you see tiny black or red spots smaller than pepper on the paper you may have mites. It takes at least a 15X magnifying glass to see the details.
Search the forum for Mites and/or insect damage.
Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here