Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unblemished tomatoes on plants with Blight

Posted by lori_ny 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 2, 09 at 15:40

About 50% of my tomatoes on the plants have been killed by the Late Blight fungus.
If I pick all the tomatoes that have no blemishes from the late bight, will they still develop it if I ripen them in my house?

I have never had this happen before:( I always get the usual blight and my plants defoliate 75% by frost but the fruits have never been affected.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unblemished tomatoes on plants with Blight

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 2, 09 at 19:27

You can try that. But likely the tomatoes are already infected but won't show the damage for several days.

o
RE: Unblemished tomatoes on plants with Blight

I've been doing just that. Some ripen OK before the blight spots get too big and some don't. Today I made roasted tomatoes to freeze, by cutting out the blight spots on the ripest ones and roasting with garlic and herbs. I salvaged at least a little of my harvest that way (though I would normally be getting tomatoes for another 6 weeks or so, and I may have 3 days left if I am lucky.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here