Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preventing Bacterial Diseases of Tomato Plants

Posted by yumtomatoes 10a/FLA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 11, 11 at 16:12

I have some crown of thorns (euphorbia milii) that I suspect are infected with xanthomonas axonopodis pv. poinsettiicola. My neighbors have crotons that are probably infected with it, too. From what I have read, I don't think this species of xanthomonas is pathogenic for tomatoes. However, other species that are pathogenic for tomatoes are endemic where I live.

I would like to both treat my crown of thorns and prevent bacterial leaf spot on my tomatoes (which I think I had last year). I currently spray the crown of thorns with copper, which helps a bit and I sprayed the tomatoes with copper last year as I will again. I didn't spray the copper prophylactically on the tomatoes last year, only once I saw symptoms. This year I will spray prophylactically.

From all I have read, copper has some bactericidal effect, but the bacteria develop resistance over time so it is recommended to add other agents. I can buy manzate and streptomycin (agrimycin), both of which have been shown to kill xanthomonas as well as to help prevent the development of copper resistance by the bacteria.

Has anyone here ever used these products? The products are only available in large quantities, but the cost is less than my crown of thorns cost and I am ready to pull them and replant since they look so ugly. I thought I would give these products a try first and I could use them on my tomatoes, too, to prevent/treat bacterial leaf spot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here