Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leslies_gw

white dots under skin

leslies
18 years ago

I am pretty new to growing tomatoes. This is my second year and I have only a couple of Roma plants. Both this year and last I've had the same problem - in two different states, with completely different weather (I moved last winter).

The problem is this: just under the skin, there are small white circles. Sometimes there are just one or two - in which case, I trim them off and use the toms anyway. Other times, there are so many spots that the whole tomato is pretty much covered with them and I have to toss it. The plants are otherwise reasonably healthy, prolific and bug-and disease-free.

All plants have been in full sun. Last year was fairly cool (no real heat wave) and incredibly rainy. This year, there was a month-long hot spell and almost no rain. In both my NY and VA gardens, the soil is basically clay with horse manure and compost added.

Could someone tell me what disease this is and if there's something I could do to reduce it? It doesn't seem to be something I see discussed much on the forum.