Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NewTomato anomaly

Posted by m.hat Southern Alberta (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 17:43

A few of my indeterminate beefstake tomatoes are marbled inside (sometimes only part of them) with a soft, white, tasteless material. I've never encountered it over the years, nor can I find any reference to it in this web or on the Net generally. It pretty much spoils the tomato eating experience when it occurs. Does anyone have any idea of what might account for it?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers, Don.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NewTomato anomaly

Please post an image or two. If you aren't able to do so, perhaps a friend, neighbor or relative could help you.

o
RE: NewTomato anomaly

Here's a photo of the anomoly. Have had some much worse than this one. (i.e. more white marbling.)

o
RE: NewTomato anomaly-yellow shoulder?

Hi, m.hat--I'm a rank newbie to tomato growing, but seeing as no one else (ie, more knowledgeable) has posted a follow-up, I thought I'd suggest yellow shoulder as a possible culprit? It's especially likely in beefsteak varieties. My Better Boys clearly show signs of yellow shoulder on the skin, but if you're growing a uniform-ripening cultivar, the tomato may look perfect on the outside and still have the white tissue inside.

Try searching on the term for more info on causes and solutions. Growers seem to suggest that the blame lies with excessive exposure to direct sunlight, high temps >90F, or both--and these have certainly been factors where my BBs are growing--but the plantology pros seem to feel that the cause is more complex than that.

Soil composition is likely to be a factor, at any rate. My beefsteaks loved the spot where I planted them, so if I grow them again next year, I'll try soil analysis and nutrient correction and see what that does.

I heartily agree that the white tissue is a downer, but since the Better Boys are all I've got, and since they've been so sweet and delicious, I just excise the bad spots and eat the rest!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here