Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walnut Disease?

Posted by JeremyD-T San Diego, CA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 5, 12 at 11:30

All of my tomato plants in outdoor containers (grown in potting soil) have been developing the same symptoms on the the leaves, though the plants are surviving:

1) White spots appear on the leaves. The spots almost have a silky texture that reminds me of a fungus. It almost seems like I can rub off the whiteness.
2) After a few days, the spots turn yellow then brown, then the entire stem starts to yellow.
3) Stem totally withers and falls off, but the rest of the plant appears healthy. My first plant even produced some fruit after almost all the leaves were gone!

The tomatoes are under a tree which MAY be a walnut (I'm not positive). Is it Walnut disease?

If it it is walnut disease, I can't do anything about it if the pots stay in their current locations. However, in the case that it isn't walnut disease, what else could it be? Here is some more info:

The spots and other symptoms happes generally from bottom to top.
I am careful not to water the leaves, and the soil is quite moist - daily waterings in the morning usually. It has been a pretty hot summer here in San Diego.
Other plants have not been affected (pea, cucumber, chili pepper).
They don't get that much sun, given that they are on my balcony :)

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walnut Disease?

The walnut is an innocent bystander.

The tomatoes appear to be struggling for survival.

Are they in pots?
Are you fertilizing?
How do you determine when and how much to water?

The white stuff could be powdery mildew. This late in the season, I suggest you dump these plants than make an improved plan for next year's tomatoes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here