Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenintas

Sudden decline of tomatoes

jenintas
18 years ago

Hello

I am hoping that someone may be able to help me with what seems to be a pretty severe problem. I have a number of seedling tomatoes which are just about ready to be planted out. They have been growing well, and have been outside under plastic for about a week during the day. I brought them inside on Friday afternoon, as it was getting wet and a bit cool, and they have been inside since then (it's now the wee hours of Sunday morning). They all looked fine this afternoon, but last evening I noticed one plant looking a bit limp at the top. Over the next few hours it (and several others) have pretty much collapsed. The side shoots seem to be curling down and inwards, so that the ends are pointing at the main stem, and the leaves are progressively curling up at the sides. The stems appear to be discoloured (a sort of purple), and there seem to be lighter patches where the side shoots join on. There are no spots or yellowing. I have had a look at the problem solving site, and the only condition that looks vaguely like what I have is phosphorous deficiency, but I wouldn't have thought that that would cause such a dramatic decline, and the leaves aren't purple.

I would be most grateful for any suggestions.

Cheers

Jen

Comments (2)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler