Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zaxsta

Disease Diagnosis (HUGE pics)

zaxsta
13 years ago

This seems to be bacterial speck to me, but I was just wondering what everyone else thought. Never really had to deal with diseases before coming here to Florida. It's pretty pervasive...any treatment advice? If you can tell me what the disease is, can you tell me how to treat it? It doesn't look like the big three - early blight, late blight, or verticulum wilt. The spots are too small to be early blight and do not form concentric circles. So....ideas, anyone?

{{gwi:1301626}}
^^^ A nice close up of the spots and a newly affected leaf.

{{gwi:1301627}}
^^^ A relatively blurry photo that really just gives you a sense of how mottled some of the leaves are. This is how the disease progresses - quite unlike early blight. I thought it was EB at first, but the spots are not individually big enough and have no concentric circles.

{{gwi:1301629}}
^^^ A pretty heavily shriveled branch. This is the late stage of the disease, pervasive, but not comprehensive in its spread.

{{gwi:1301631}}
^^^ You can see the leaf miners on this one. I'm not too concerned about that. Being here in Florida makes it somewhat impossible to deal with these jerks, so I don't need any advice here.

The plants are pretty healthy otherwise. These are the lower few branches. I've tried cutting off the branches with sterilized equipment, but it continues to spread. These pots contain a BUNCH of fertilizer, so that may be the issue, but I really don't think so. I would have seen symptoms of that before they became 2 or 3 feet tall. They get rained on, so there is some overhead watering, and as you can see I did not mulch them. Given that this is Florida, the breeding ground of plant disease, could this just be a very aggressive form of bacterial speck? Thanks for any help, guys and gals!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations