Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato plants have pale green color.

Posted by Heartsy z8 LA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 15, 05 at 18:47

My fall tomato vines are bushy and look OK, they have blooms all over them, but why are the vines just a light green and not the nice dark green that my spring tomatoes were. Is there something else that I should put on them. I fertilized with miracle grow three weeks ago but the color has stayed the same. They really look sick with the color not being good. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato plants have pale green color.

Heartsy,

Here's a few ideas off the cuff. If you planted the fall tomatoes in the same soil as the summer plants, it is possible that maybe your soil is depleted of nutrients. Miracle Grow is a quick fix but it's always a good idea to amend soil between plantings. Also, I mix in a slow-release fertilizer when I plant. And mulching is never a bad idea either.

If you think your soil is OK, then maybe you've just had too much rain. So maybe your soil is saturated with water because it can't drain. Are other plants in your yard suffering too?

Other possibilities are low overnight temperatures and less sunlight. I have no idea what your night time lows in your area have been lately, but cold nights can shut down many varieties. Purplish leaves can mean that the plant is not taking in phosphorus and this can be due to the cold and not the lack of nutrients in the soil. As for the shorter days, there's not much to do about that except make sure your plants are in the sunniest spot you have.

Now, I don't know if the next bit of info applies to tomatoes but here goes. Pale green foilage can mean a lack of iron. There are several iron supplements available at garden stores to remedy this problem.

And one last thing, there is a thread in the forum that lists several websites for diagnosing tomato problems. Just scroll down a bit and find it (I think it's titled Tomato Problem Solver 2 and it was started by Earl). Personally, I like the Texas A&M Tomato Problem Solver.

Good Luck,

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas A&M Tomato Problem Solver

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here