Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yroux

tomato disease

yvan
18 years ago

Can you identify the tomato disease? Is it a fungus or a bacteria?

yavn

Image link:

Comments (5)

• suze9
    18 years ago

Looks like anthracnose (fungal). But do go to the link I've provided and read more about it to see if the description matches what you've observed. Pictures are clickable for a larger view. So is the icon for the Handbook in the bottom left corner.

Just curious -- are both of the pictures you've posted from the same plant?

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato problem solver

• yvan
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks suze9 for your answer. No they are not from the same plant.

I have a flower garden home, but i grow tomatoes at a community garden. Most of the growers had the same disease (anthracnose); we never had that kind of tomato disease in the past. The weather was particularly sunny and warm this year. I was wondering if i should grow tomatoes again next year at this community garden.

Thanks again.

yvan in Rimouski QC, Canada

• jean001
    18 years ago

Anthracnose is primarilly a disease of ripe and over-ripe tomatoes.

The "fix" is to harvest when the fruit are full-colored but not dead ripe. Also, be certain that you remove all crop refuse -- namely, old vines and dropped tomatoes.

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

yvan.

It's very hard to escape anthracnose b'c the spores are in the environment all the time.

I usually see it near the end of the season when the night temps have started to drop and there are heavy morning dews.

If you want to be aggressive about it, which few are, you can use a good antifungal spray such as Ortho Garden Disease Control, aka Daconil, which will help.

Carolyn

• lrbroussard
    16 years ago

I think we too have either Anthracnose or tomato blight. Yellowing leaves with brown spots and all fruits from three plants are affected with the "bullseye" spots on them...after a few days, the spots start to mold over.
    Are the good parts of the tomato still safe to eat? All the fruits started turning red at the same time and are all seemingly affected.