Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryanonthebeach

White/silver sopts on leaves, Panic!?

ryanonthebeach
12 years ago

Hey Growers

I've noticed these silver like spots on the leaves ... these are only on a few of the young leaves. these leaves had grown very close into the 300w LED light (this tomato grows like a weed) so they are bleached was wondering if I should panic and run round in circles about these white spots or could they just be burn? If not you think it's a bug or fungi?

Have searched around and seen a few scary things that might be candidates:

Septoria leaf spot?

Powdery Mildewa?

Spider mites?

your help would be much appreciated!

Here are some pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/115767471934312712818/Tom?authuser=0amp;authkey=Gv1sRgCPLL_oqbvZ-w7gE&feat=directlink

Comments (11)

• ryanonthebeach
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh and one note... I did see a tiny little moth thing buzzing around (1mm). Didn't think anything of it...

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Please relax. Not a disease nor critters. Were too close to the lights which touched them.

Here is a link that might be useful: your images

• ryanonthebeach
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jean...
    That's what I was hoping too.
    I cut off the leaves that where affected (there where only a few) and moved the light up. But it spreading rapidly to other leaves. The lights are LED's so they are are only warm to the touch, granted they are powerful... 500W in total.

Added more pics:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/115767471934312712818/Tom?authuser=0amp;authkey=Gv1sRgCPLL_oqbvZ-w7gE&feat=directlink

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures

• ryanonthebeach
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not getting much action on this fourm...

Added some more photos, keeps getting worse, searched all over and can't find something like this...
    Anyone got any ideas???

Here is a link that might be useful: photos

• jean001a
    12 years ago

This is getting difficult to track!

I just suggested phytotoxicity on another of your threads, I believe it's in the Tomato Forum.

The final image has water-soaked areas. It might help to see the entire plant.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Beyond all the above, and judging by the number of plants you're growing, I wonder if you're a commercial grower in that you sell tomatoes and/or plants.

If so, you can obtain free and *professional* assistance from your county's Extension Service office -- that is, if you live in the USA; I can't tell from your profile.

If in the US, locate your county's office with this clickable USDA map - http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

If not in the US, locate your nearby agricultural authority.

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's Extension Service office

• ryanonthebeach
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks jean, apologies for bouncing around.
    nope, I'm just a hobby grower.
    I've not sprayed with anything other than liquid light but I've used that thought the grow without issues.
    Something I have been adding because I saw some brown roots is the 3% hydrogen peroxide at 10ml per gal per day.

Think your diagnosis of too much light could be right. But will take some time to tell. Wondering if I should just apply a fungicide & pesticide anyway?

Thanks
    Ryan

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Frankly, your shots in the dark may be aggravating whatever it is that's occurring.

In order for pesticides to be effective, it's required to first know what's wrong, then select the appropriate product, if any is needed, for that problem.

If the problem is due to the lights, or due to "liquid light" -- what is that? -- *pesticides* won't help.

• ryanonthebeach
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shots in the dark... not sure what you are talking about.
    liquid light is just a foiler feed, and as I said it's not due that that. but you did ask what I've been using.
    Still a mystery to me.

• jean001a
    12 years ago

"Shots in the dark" = "Don't know what's going on but will spray anyway in the (irrational) hope that it will work."

I asked about liquid light because I'm not familiar with it. So, after I posted earlier, I tried to find out a tad of info via an internet search. Learned the stuff is used in hydroponics, but wasn't able to find anything that stated the active ingredient. Also found comments from folks using it on a rather interesting crop.

• ryanonthebeach
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not sure I like your tone, but I do appreciate you trying to help. It's not irrational to try a process of elimination, since my plant may be dying and I've been searching and asking on forums for days and I'm not getting any definitive information. As I said before liquid light has nothing to do with it, I'm sure of that for a number of reasons.