Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justinmcdonald

when will fertilizer kick in?

justinmcdonald
15 years ago

I have only previously grown my tomatoes in pots with great success.

This year I made a new patch for my tomatoes, it was made from layers of straw, organic fertilizer and soil. I don't think I spread the fertilizer evenly as I have a problem with my tomatoes.

There are 12 tomato plants, they were all grown from seed and planted by me at the same time. One is growing really well as you can see in the first photo, but the other 11 plants all look really sick, as you can see in the other photos (i have shown the whole plant as well as front and back of the leaves). All the sick plants look just like this. I can't find any pests, so i'm pretty sure its just lack of nutrients.

I think the good plant is in a spot that got lots of fertilizer. My question is how do I fix it and how long will it take? Should I just spread some more fertilizer around the plants and water it in? If so, how long until I can see the plants recover? Will the existing leaves stay as they are and the new growth will look ok, or will the existing leaves recover? Or should I just pull them all up, dig in some more fertilizer and replant with new plants?

Thank in advance for your help.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions