Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white spots on tomato leaves and stem

Posted by edjusted (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 19, 08 at 14:54

I have some beefsteak tomato plants that're coming along nicely, and the plants are about 2-3 ft tall. There aren't any tomatoes yet. Recently, the leaves on some of the plants started developing some round powdery white spots. The spots sort of look like mold or powdered sugar. The spots are starting to spread and even appear on the stems. Does anyone have any idea what this is and what I should do about it? I've searched a lot of gardening web sites and can only find references to black, brown, or yellow spots.

A pic of the problem is below, and you can click on it to see 3 more pics.

Thanks!

tomato plant problem

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white spots on tomato leaves and stem

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 19, 08 at 14:59

Looks rather like the classic evidence of powdery mildew.

o

I have the exact same problem. Have you heard of any solutions yet?

o

l do not know of the white spots coming on right away but l know Bacterial Canker start with the plants turn brown then when not treated the leaves get white spots.
hope some here will come up with something to help.

o

I have the EXACT same problem. White powdery spots all over the leaves, just like in the photo. I'm also getting yellowing on top of the tomatoes. Anyone know anything about what it is and how to treat it?

o

the tomato yellowing

o

and white spots

o

Powdery Mildew.I think the yellow ,uneven ripening is a whole different thing. Tomato Yellow Shoulder Disorder. Nothing I would be worried about, but the PM is. The YSD Can be a soil nutrient thing or a weather thing. That is my guess... Here is a geek page on the subject.. http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/tomato/prese2004.pdf

o

I had a soil test done and the nutrient levels are very low, as is the PH. This is my first garden, so now I know I need to lime and fertilize. According to the link you provided, that seems like the most likely cause of the YSD. Its the end of the growing season, so I'll be disposing of the plants for the Powdery Mildew.
Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here