Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brandywines rotting

Posted by sandaidh western NY (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 8, 06 at 16:44

This is the first time that I've tried growing Brandywine tomatoes. The plants grew beautifully and produced an abundance of green tomatoes. But the cold weather threatened too soon to harvest any vine ripened ones, so I harvested the green ones. Several were just starting to turn color when picked, and I eagerly anticipated my first taste of a Brandywine. And then...the tomatoes developed a greenish-brown spot near the stem, which spread and the tomato rotted before it could finish ripening. This also happened with most of the green tomatoes as well. Consquently, I've had to discard most of the tomatoes, which was most disappointing. I have finally gotten three tomatoes to ripen without rotting first. I've never seen this before on my tomatoes and am wonder what it is. Is it something particular to Brandywines? Could it have been caused by the weather, a fungus, pest, or...? Here's a picture of one of the 'infected' tomatoes. As you can see it was nearly ripe. It went to rotting mush rather quickly.

Image link: Brandywines rotting (22 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brandywines rotting

If that's cracking at the stem end that I see, it's probably just bacteria introduced though the cracks. It's not particular to Brandywines, any cracked tomato can have this problem, but Brandywines are prone to cracking after heavy rains. Hope that helps, at least somewhat.

laurel-tx

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here