Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19769938

Yellow Leaf Curl Prevention?

User
12 years ago

I'm just south of Miami. I haven't been on the forum for a long time, because I tried to grow tomatoes, and yellow leaf curl virus made it impossible. I am thinking of trying again, and I am wondering: are there any new tricks to make it work? I was thinking it might be possible to grow them in a miniature greenhouse on a concrete patio, but I don't want to waste the time and money if it doesn't work.

I know it's possible to buy resistant varieties, but if I can't grow something special, I figure I might as well go to the store.

Other people down here manage to grow tomatoes. I can't figure it out. It has occurred to me that it may be a local problem, so I have been treating the rest of my yard to kill the unbelievable hordes of whiteflies we have here. Maybe I just need a bug-free buffer zone so the plants won't be attacked as soon as I set them out.

This state is a bug, fungus, and disease magnet. We seem to get something new every year. Currently it's the gumbo limbo whitefly! I have to treat a tree which used to be considered impossible to get rid of. And then there's the spiral whitefly, and the one that kills ficus trees...

Comment (1)