o
how to stop pests eating my leaves?

Posted by peacelovinglily (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 17, 09 at 20:13

a)
leave with holes

b)
Photobucket

a) and b) I think I know what's been eating them - I discovered this little green grub caterpillar- like thing on a leaf for both plants, and scraped it off. But HOW can one tiny little grub do so much damage...And I've only found one so far; are there likely to be more? Where do they come from?

Could someone advise on how to treat the leaves and prevent this happening again? What are the consequences of leaving them there?

*panicking*

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to stop pests eating my leaves?

Yes I get this problem just about every gardening year. If your problem (and very well maybe) is the same as mine you probably have hornworms visiting your garden patch.
They can do a lot of damage in a short period of time if not controlled. One of the best web sites I discovered that helped me with this problem is garden-planting-tips.com they have lots of information on gardening. One of my fav sites to visit.

Here is the link if your interested to take a look.

Oh yes! If you go to their web site I believe they have a link called garden pest to read about hornworms.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: garden planting tips

o
RE: how to stop pests eating my leaves?

You may have 'tobacco hornworms' (Manduca quinquemaculata - a sphingid moth) or 'tomato loopers' (Chrysodeixis chalcites - a noctuid moth). To the amateur, both are green, but have different sizes, markings and body features. Bacillus thuringeiensis sprays are safe and effective. New Spinosad treatments (e.g. 'Conserve SC', 'Entrust', ' Naturalyte', 'Monterey Garden Insect Spray' and 'Borer, Bagworm, Tent Caterpillar & Leafminer Spray') are probably effective and very safe, but you'd need to check the label. There are also registered chemical treatments, such as elemental sulphur (400 g/kg) + Cu as oxychloride (40 g/kg) + carbaryl (20 g/kg), or sprays of cyfluthrin, or pyrethrins, or fenthion. Just follow the label instructions for your Country, State or area. Then there are some generalist fungal control agents (e.g. Metarhizium spp. and Beauveria bassiana), but I'm not sure if they are commercially available to gardeners. Baculovirus agents against loopers are under experimental investigation. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here