Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jwmeyer_gw

blossom drop

jwmeyer
18 years ago

Hello all,

I'm growing indoor under lights this winter. The plants are doing great, look very healthy but I'm experiencing some blossom drop. They are "lucky lepracaun" heirlooms. I've had this condition a bit outdoors w/ peppers, but not toms.

Any suggestions?

appreciate it....

Comments (6)

• suze9
    18 years ago

I'm experiencing some blossom drop

How much? If not excessive, probably not a cause for concern.

Some blossom drop is to be expected. Not every single blossom is going to pollinate and set fruit even in optimal conditions.

Since you are growing indoors, I would suggest shaking plants daily to aid in pollination (because there is little air movement).

Below, I've linked to the section of the FAQ which discusses blossom drop. Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ on blossom drop

• jwmeyer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No, not excessive, for now...The plants are only about a foot tall, mature height is from 2-3', so I was a bit surprised there were already blossoms. It probaly has to do w/ giving them 15 hours of light each day. I run an oscillating fan whenever the light is on so air movement should be adequate for pollination...I appreciate the input. I'll see if I can't get some pics up...

• torquill
    18 years ago

Plants rarely set fruit on the first set of blossoms; quite often the rest of the plant (particularly the root system) just isn't quite big or mature enough. The plants that do set on the first flush either had more time than usual to develop before blooming, or they're the early types which don't need as much maturity to fruit.

They should be setting out another flush soon -- look to see how those do.

--Alison

• jwmeyer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the response. Most of the bloosom's are setting now!
    Take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1301746}}

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

They should be setting out another flush soon -- look to see how those do.

Alison, have I told you lately how glad I am to see you back posting?

For the first couple of years here it was you and me, me for the East Coast baddies, primarily, and you for the West Coast ones. LOL

For a number of reasons I stopped posting here this past summer but stopped by just this past week for the first time since then.

And Suze from TX has been doing a wonderful job here as well, although I don't remember her being around the first couple of years.

And there are a few others who have helped out from time to time as well.

Are you going to be able to continue posting, as in I don't know where you're at with your Horticultural studies or anything else, as far as that goes. ( smile)

Carolyn

• torquill
    18 years ago

Carolyn, I'm on winter break now. I start my last semester at the community college on the 17th, and heaven only knows how much time I'll have -- that's the second semester of OChem, which you may recall as a real time-sink. :)

After that, I have the summer relatively free, and I expect I'll be posting here then, regardless of how much I manage during the semester. Then it's off to U.C. Davis in the fall, and all bets are off.

I tend to find myself reluctant to dive into the forums, actually, since I feel like there's an implied responsibility that I'm not up to shouldering most of the time. Maybe, if I have a garden going and I'm better at managing my time (as I'm going to try to be), I might stop in more often... but I won't be able to be a dependable guru. :)

Glad to see you're back on, yourself. Despite having to log on five times before breakfast. :)

--Alison

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!