Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayview_gw

Tomato yellow leaf-curl begomovirus

bayview
15 years ago

I'm still looking for a small quanitiy of Tomato seed with some resistance to TYLCB ( Hybrid or open pollenated )Do any of you have any leads ?

Comments (18)

• simmran1
    15 years ago

Champion II (VFFNTA) 70 Days. Features even more disease resistance than Celebrity or orig. Champion, while maintaining the same delicious flavor and timing. Delivers high yields of meaty, 6 to 7 oz. fruits. Also exhibits intermediate resistance to Yellow Leaf Curl Virus.

Also 'Wisconsin 55'

Here is a link that might be useful: Totally Tomatoes

• bayview
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you simmran , appreciate the heads up

• bayview
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tracie , Polina , Seminis , Hawaii ,Delta or even Shanty seed would be perfect..
    All have been available ( commerically ) for 4-5 years , seems like they would be available now for home use ..
    "Matts Wild Cherry" tomato keeps me in tiny wonderful tomatoes , but ......... I may have to learn to cross up Matts with a Brandywine , if Paramount and Hazera Seed continue to refuse to sell to the home gardener

• corrie22
    15 years ago

bayview, I found three that are available

Totally Tomatoes:
    Champion 11 Hybrid Tomato(VFFNTA)

Tomato Growers Supply:
    Margo (VFFT) Hybrid
    Sun King (VFTA)Hybrid

Corrie

• corrie22
    15 years ago

Looks like TYLCV resistant plants are becoming more popular this year. 8-/

hoosiercherokee found this one:

Twilley Seed catalog - PS 01522935 Hybrid

• bayview
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks seed is ordered . the heirlooms are ready now and will go out on metallic mulch ( BRITE N' SHINE ) and I'll rotate insecticides to control silverleaf whitefly

• flyingfish2
    15 years ago

The latest tomato growers catalog had a number of seeds available that have the TA rating or resistant to TYLCV.

www.tomatogrowers.com

• bayview
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone

• corrie22
    15 years ago

TA would not be for tomato yellow leaf curl virus.

TY is what is used for TYLCV.

Corrie

• bayview
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks corrie , it's good that you cleared that up . yes i get that V =(verticiilium ) F =( fusarium ) N= ( nematodes )= T ( tobacco masaic virus )or A =(alternia ) . and that no plant breeders ( outside (of israel) are claiming that they have a handle on controling begomovirus

• corrie22
    15 years ago

Actually, yes the do. Hazera is just one of the Israeli companies, there are several.
    But the largest breeders are actually in China, and the far east.

Corrie

• bayview
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This seems to answer the question

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your email regarding Yellow Leaf-Curl Begomovirus in tomatoes.
    At this time, there are no varieties that are available for home gardens
    that have this resistance. The varieties that are on the market that do
    have it are genetically modified. Research is being done to develop non-GMO
    tomatoes that can be used by a home gardener.

In the meantime, I recommend using any tomato that has other disease
    resistant qualities -- like Goliath Hybrid VFFNTASt, Celebrity Hybrid
    VFFNTASt, or Jetsetter Hybrid VFFNASt. By reducing your risk of having
    other diseases in your tomatoes, your plants will be healthier and better
    able to combat TYLCB if it happens to strike.

I apologize for this taking so long to have a response back to you. I'm
    brand new here and the horticulturist questions stacked up while the
    position was vacant. I assure you future questions will not take this long.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Happy Gardening!

Katrina

Katrina A. Pfaff
    Horticulturist/Seed Quality Manager

• corrie22
    15 years ago

bayview, which company does she work for?

I can understand working for a company, being new at the job, and only knowing their product. I'm sure that's the case, because she is very misinformed.

Corrie

• bayview
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jung
    corrie , you have failed to mention any seed source ,any strain , odd that .

• corrie22
    15 years ago

I don't understand what you mean by odd that. Unless you can't read. ;-)

In my first post I gave you two sources of seed, and the strain/variety that they sell that is resistant or tolerant to TY.

You said you only wanted a small quantity. How many sources do you need?

Green out of Vietnam is another source that will sell to you.

Corrie

• dr._tomato
    15 years ago

I believe that there is a big misunderstanding here, as you are lumping tomato yellow leaf-curl begomovirus and tomato yellow leaf curl virus into the same thing. These are two different viruses.

Ms. Pfaff is correct: there are no varieties available to home or commercial gardeners for Tomato Yellow Leaf-Curl Begomovirus (or to those of us that study pathology, Sarania). This is a disease that was first found in about 2002/2003 and is a 'newer' strain of the original Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl Virus. It is a small problem for a large grower, but I highly doubt a home gardener would have it. As Ms. Pfaff mentioned, using resistant varieties for other diseases would keep plants healthy enough to combat Sarania if it should strike.

What I think you guys are talking about in this thread and getting rather confused on is there good old Tomato Yellow Leaf-Curl Virus. This has been around since forever and any seed company that carries hybrid tomatoes has a tomato that will be resistant to it. The varieties listed above are good examples.

The way that Tomato Yellow Leaf-Curl Virus morfed into Toamto Yellow Leaf-Curl Begomovirus is linked to insecticide resistance in the whitefly. The white fly acts as a vector to transmit the disease from plant to plant through it's sucking mouth parts. Initially, farmers treated their viruses by taking out the flies. As the flies built resistance, the virus transcribed into a more virulent form. Thus, it is now a begomovirus.

I applaude Ms. Pfaff for being up on her information. GMO varieties for Bego-resistance have only been on the market for a couple years.

Quentin, PhD in Plant Pathology and Tomato Breeder working on non-GMO Bego-resistant tomato varieties

• summerwynde
    13 years ago

Wow, I'm impressed! Looks like Totally Tomatoes' folks know what is going on. Moves them higher in my list for where to look for tomato seeds. Thanks bayview and dr tomato for posting the information.

• dreface
    13 years ago

Thank you Garden Web for keeping this relatively old thread available. Thank you Bayview and Dr. Tomato for some very helpful information. My tomato plants have been shriveling and dying the past three summers. I thought it was all my fault... until I used the internet for a little research. After searching several sites for pictures, background, and now your conversation I actually have hope this year!!