Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bugs eating tomato blossoms

Posted by Honu z11 HI (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 23, 05 at 23:34

This is my first time growing Marianna's Peace, Cherokee Purple, Druzba, Carbon, and Yellow Brandywine, and I've been so excited to see them loaded with blossoms this month. We're having nice dry, warm, sunny, non-humid weather right now, so I'm surprised I'm not getting any fruit to set(other than 2 CPs). I think I saw the problem the other day... tiny light green, bugs that fly and look like pictures of the thrips in my gardening book are inside all the blossoms. It looks like they are eating the blossoms, since the blossom insides are brown and damaged looking. I found the bugs inside the blossoms in mid-day, so was afraid to spray for fear of burning the plants in direct sun. In the cool mornings and evenings, I don't see them in there. Has anyone dealt with this kind of problem? I would be most grateful for any organic suggestions to control these bugs and allow me to have some fruit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bugs eating tomato blossoms

I would be most grateful for any organic suggestions

Many of the soap sprays that are marketed fit in with an organic program. In particular, you'll want to look for the words *potassium salts of fatty acids* on the label.

Spray in the evening or the morning, any time there is no direct sun on the plants. Important to spray all surfaces of plant, bottoms of leaves especially. Rinse off all of the soap spray after a couple of minutes if you wish, as it can make plants photosensitive in hot climates if left on. The soap spray works on contact by rupturing and dehydrating soft bodied insects. Treat twice a week for a couple of weeks (many soft bodied insects are on a 3 day lifecycle), then once every 7-10 days afterwards.

o

• Posted by Honu z11 HI (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 25, 05 at 19:21

Thanks Suze! Is it ok to spray INSIDE the blossom? Unfortunately they are inside the blossoms in the heat of mid-day, so I was afraid spraying would burn. The problem is I don't see them during the cool early am or evening, when I don't have to worry about burning -- and the spray requires direct contact. Ok, you gave me an idea... I'll try shaking the plants till they fly off, then try spraying them as they fly off... hope the mist will catch some of them. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

o

Came across your post and I think I may have the same problem. I just started noticing that none of my blossoms on one of my Brandywine plants had no petals. Upon closer inspection most of the blossoms are brown and damaged looking.

I just bought and sprayed with some kind of insecticide... none of my other plants are having this issue, should I worry about it spreading?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here