Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trimming Junipers

Posted by NorCal_Cat N.CA9b/ Sun 14 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 2, 03 at 9:32

My brother has a long Juniper hedge running along his front lawn that needs to be shaped. Is there an appropriate time or way to do this?

Last August he trimmed back a section using his power hedge trimmer. Shortly after, this section turned ugly brown for a month or so. Now it has come back new and green.

Will it alway turn brown when he trims it back? Is this just something he need to plan around? Or was August a bad time? I have no problem believing the heat of August could have played into it.

Any information you can provide would be very helpful!!
Thanks in advance,
Catherine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trimming Junipers

I've found that if you trim junipers by cutting them, the injured needles near the cut will turn brown. The only way I know of to avoid this is to pinch back the junipers by hand. This makes the wound occur between needles.

o

wider at the bottom so the sun can get to it and what dwobser said about the browness

o

We have a large ( 10feet wide x 6 feet high) Juniper in our front yard. It has some deadwood underneath. Should this be taken out or left. How much can a Juniper be trimmed - our is getting kinda large!

o

Junipers can be trimed at any time of year. 2 things that cause browning are,extreme heat or cold at cutting time, and shears or power trimmers that are not sharp. In either case it will flush out after a while. Dull shears rip the ends instead of cutting.
Frankzen you should remove the deadwood from below. You can cut as deeply into the plant as you would like,[you could get some crazy shape out of a plant that size!] as long as you still have green. Or blue or yellow or whatever colour your juniper might be.Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here