Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have a question about pot size for topiary

Posted by fnboyd z8 AL (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 08 at 15:09

I usually hang out in the cottage garden forum but I need help with a topiary question. I would like to plant two urns to go by my front door with cone shaped boxwood. What type of boxwood would you recommend and how large should the urn be in regard to the boxwood? Will I need to remove the boxwood after a few years and plant in the ground or will the size of the urn determine how large the plant will get?

I am in zone 8 and the urns will be facing west.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

faye in Bama

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have a question about pot size for topiary

I have a couple of homemade cone shaped boxwood topiaries in pots on my front porch. I'm not an expert but I used Buxus japonicus, the Japanese boxwood that is common here in So. Calif. The plants should almost, but not quite fill the pots. If the pot is 15 in. across at the top and you put a 5 gal. plant in it, you have a few inches all around for it to grow. Make sure the 'urn' you mention has good drainage. I used two cement urn, about 12 inches. across, and planted two spiral topiaries in them. They were expensive plants. They died in those urns. You can keep them in the pots for years. Once they are root bound, though you should do root pruning and put them back in the same pots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here