Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_fairy772

Edward Scissorhands

flower_fairy772
21 years ago

Who on here loves Edward Scissorhands? I do! That's one of my favorite movies. He loves to create topiary. I'm thinking of doing something myself. Any suggestions of the names of small round, priamid, or spiral kinds of plants for beginners?

Comments (12)

• flower_fairy772
    Original Author
    21 years ago

I guess no one does. :(

• girlgroupgirl
    21 years ago

Flowerfairy, I LOVE EDWARD SCISSORHANDS!!!

girlgroupgirl

• gardening_michy
    21 years ago

If you are asking for plant suggestions I have used Rosemary and Japanese Holly with great success. The rosemary grows quite fast so it is very satisfying and allows you to trim more frequently. The Japanese Holly (i think i have a compact form) grows very slow and has been more of a wait and see topiary with very little 1/4" type trimming. Have fun.

• nckvilledudes
    21 years ago

Try using coleus. I took cuttings last fall and rooted them and then started making topiary standards. They have both grown well at work in a sunny window. I constantly have to trim them they grow so fast.

• miSago
    21 years ago

Edward Scissorhands did for topiary the same as The Karate Kid did for bonsai
    awareness is a good thing

• dirtmonkey
    20 years ago

I was living in Los Angeles when the movie was made. After filming, the studio set out all those huge 'topiary' right down the center strip of Santa Monica Boulevard in West Hollywood a few blocks from where I was living. It was fun to see them up close and go walking around between them. They were wire cages with foliage woven through of course, but still impressive!

Someone, somewhere, has pictures of me among them, but I never did actually see the movie.

Vincent

• tapewormmaki
    19 years ago

Anyone ever wonder how edward scissorhands went no. 1? I wish he had gotten hands in the end. :(

• artomesia
    19 years ago

Spiral topiaries are very easy to create. I bought a 2 gallon dwarf Alberta spruce for 12 dollars at HD and a 2 dollar plastic urn planter, spent about 45 mins selectively pruning, standing back, pruning some more, and rechecking my work.

I saw the same plant already in a spiral topiary at HD selling for $75.

Might try a larger plant, maybe a cedar hedge next.
    It is a lot easier than you think!!!!

• MyraD
    19 years ago

I loved Edward Scissorhands too! Did anyone try to groom their dog like the ones in the movie or get an ES inspired hair cut?

• woodsterrichard
    19 years ago

can anyone give me advice on an electric clipper to buy for topiary. i have one arm blown off and my left arm is not a sccissor hand.makes it very difficult to clip with ordinary shears .thanks in advance
    bud

• triple_b
    18 years ago

My fave Johnny Depp role is CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow. Johnny Depp sure loves to play dress-up doesn't he? But yeah, Ed Scissorhands is definitely a cult classic.

• louise_xxx
    17 years ago

Hey fairy flower, try conifers for great spirals ,balls on sticks etc ...buy med growings ones like (Cham lawsoniana pembury's blue) or juniper virginana burkii if doing ball on stick remove all lower branches (two thirds only) and then cut off the leader shoot at the top, at the desired height, start rounding the shape at the top it will take a couple of years for the ball to fill out but makes a beautiful fluffy shape that is evergreen all year round. If doing spirals tie a string at the top, and spiral it down toward the bottom make sure spiral is tigher (smaller at top and wider as you get to the bottom, then just start clipping and follow the string line(cut back to the main stem so that the spiral goes around the stick) when finished lightly cut back the sides to encourage bushyness.
    A word of caution now !!! some conifers dont regrow from hard wood,so dont cut back too far. have a great time !!!
    I'm an ex hairdresser and get really excited about giving a plant a good hair cut..

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County