Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planning pleached hornbeam

Posted by melissac UK (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 18, 04 at 15:51

I'm planning a c 36ft pleached hornbeam hedge to bisect a kitchen garden which is part walled, part yew hedged around.
What distance apart does anyone recommend the hornbeams to be planted? I was going to go for 8 trees just under 5ft apart (ie with 34 ft between the first and the last), and the first and last about a ft away from the yew boundary. Is this too far apart? Would 10 trees just under 4 ft apart be better? I'd prefer to have an even number to maintain the vista along the central path through the hedge.

Also what height of tree does anyone think is optimal, balancing good initial height with trainability and ease of establishment of the trees?

Many thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planning pleached hornbeam

I'm really sorry that no one has answered your question. It's just that hornbeams are not the usual hedge plant of choice here in North America, although I don't understand why not. It's a very interesting plant. I think your plans of 5 feet apart or even wider is fine. The thing about pleaching is that you will need to link branches to each other using perhaps heavy gauge wires. So branches have to be close enough to establish that linkage. How high? That really depends on your preferences. Some pleached I've seen have grown as high as 15 feet. Some shorter. It depends on how it will appear in your yard.

Ianna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here