Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Correct way to trim/shape a topiary?

Posted by barbara_in_la So. Cal. (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 08 at 16:28

Hi,

I have a rabbit frame with a rosemary plant growing inside and slowly filling up the frame... I'm wondering how I should trim it? Do you let the plant grow out of the frame and trim it so that an inch of the plant is above the frame? I don't have a clue... thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Correct way to trim/shape a topiary?

Barbara, Is it a chicken wire type frame? Is it an upright rosemary? If so, I start trimming it while it is a small plant inside the frame so it will branch out better within the frame. It may take months to fill it in depending on the size of the frame and the plant. I think if you were to let it grow out of the frame and THEN trim it, you end up with a bare middle.

o

Hi,

Yes, it's a chicken wire type frame, white in color. The plant itself has almost filled the body, and I've been "training" the stems to grow into the ears and arms and legs sections, if that makes sense.

Thanks for your help!
Barbara

o

Hi Barbara,

It does make sense. I think you are fine doing what you are doing.

Julie in Los Alamitos, CA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here