Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fanatic_gw

vine for topiary frames-suggestions wanted

fanatic
20 years ago

Here are the requirements:

1.) zone 5/6 perrenial

2.) deciduous (looses all or most of its leaves in winter)

3.) must do well in shade

4.) not terribly slow growing

5.) not invasive

6.) would be best if the leaves were small to medium (for better topiary detail)

(if it weren't for requirement #5 I would consider honeysuckle.)

Thannks for any and all suggestions!

Comments (9)

• fanatic
    Original Author
    20 years ago

WOW! I guess this question was a lot more difficult than I had thought.

• ianna
    20 years ago

Well it is somewhat difficult. Are you planning to get this vine growing around a frame or grow this vine as a standard?

The ivy will do great around a frame and do well in the shade, but it's not a perennial so that's out. The hardier varieties are not suitable for topiaries.

The wisteria won't do well to grow around a frame, but can be grown as a standard. Unfortunately it is aggressive and may take years before it gets to bloom. Furthermore it requires good sunlight. May work for part sun areas, but not very shaded areas.

There are plants out there that can mimic a vine but not vines like the eunymous (spelling?) but again this requires good sunlight.

The climbing hydrangea does well in shade but not as a topiary material.

Perhaps you could expand on your plans to we can try to help out.

Ianna

• tikiangi
    20 years ago

passion flower vines are wonderful. Also, clematis are slow growing to start. If you don't mine pruning and manipulating your plant. Use trailing blue lobelia for variety to fill in too. Or sweet potato vine or lucifer's blood(silver foliage, red flowers).

• fanatic
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks very much for your suggestions and comments and I;d be happy to elaborate on my delemma and discuss the suggested options.

First off; I am looking for a vine for topiary frames, more specifically; wire frames in animal shapes.

The suggestion of euronymous is somewhat intriquing because I actually have that plant growing in the nearby area and hadn't really considered using that. And, just for future reference; this euronymous is growing in a shady woodland setting so it doesn't require that much sun afterall. However, the leaves on this particular one do NOT fall off during winter (i.e. it is somewhat evergreen (not deciduous) in my zone 5/6. Unless perhaps different varieties might be more deciduous than others??

The statement about the ivy is interesting. I never really thought about it until you pointed it out that hardy ivy is not good as a topiary. So, I guess that scrathes that thought that was in the back of my mind. I definatly agree about the climbing hydrangea as well as the Wisteria pointers.

So, I guess you are right about my question being tough. But then, that's why I am asking knowlegeable vine gardeners like you all!

The Passion Vine may be one of the best suggestion that I've heard so far! I have had that plant growing on a trellis, I can't remember if the vine stays even though the leaves fall or not. And, I cut it down early fall last year so I can't check. The clematis may be a possibility too. However, from what I understand some keep their vines and some die back to the ground, and still others are spose to be cut back or something. I would have to think that only the one with the vine that stays all winter would work for me (whichever that variety is). If it can stand the shade. As far as flowers go; it's not necessary. So, if the Passion Flower or Clematis can grow well, even w/o blooms; that would be ok.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and comments. I would be happy to hear more if you think of any.

• ianna
    20 years ago

Hi, Just happened to be bouncing around this neighborhood. Euonymous (spelling again?) isn't deciduous and won't do well to work around a frame. It's leaves are too large for the kinds of frame you are thinking of. It can be trained as a standard just as a wisteria can. Most clematis in our zone will die back to the ground and they like cool roots. Not good for topiary frames. I haven't yet tried passion flower so cannot comment on it.

What you seem to be searching for is a vine that can be neatly trained and trimmed around unsually shaped topiary frames, but why do you want decidious types? or do you really need a vine for this project? If not, creeping jenny is a ground cover type plant, but it sends out long tendrils and may resemble a vine. It's been used to cover topiaries.

The low ground cover, cotoneaster, isn't a vine (it's a shrub) but is decidious, woody stemmed and can be trained but it will take some doing. What's more around fall time, it produces berries.

The only other thing I can suggest is for you to check out a nursery's website and we have an excellent one up here in Canada called Sheridan Nurseries. They have an online garden guide so it might be worth checking.

Anyway, if I do happen to come across a vine meeting your requirements, I will definitely bring it up. Good luck on your search

• fanatic
    Original Author
    20 years ago

The reason that I want deciduous is because I will have mini-light strands on the frames that I want to use for christmas lighting. I feel that having leaves during winter would cover many of the lights. That Creeping Jenny....is it a perrenial for shade? Could I fill the wire frame w/ some sphagnum moss to grow it?? Perhaps a ground cover used as a topiary would be the answer. hummm....... All suggestions welcome. Thanks!

• zionadams
    19 years ago

http://www.starnursery.com/notes/sn_515.html

Same questions here....

Try that site for information about vines. Also, from what I can learn, Banks Roses are the easiest, hardiest and least tempermental. I've got 2 going right now plus a starter that rooted easily. Back to the nursery to get another one. LOL

• vetivert8
    19 years ago

If you could bring it in for the winter - Muehlenbeckia could be worth a try.

Small leaves, semi-deciduous, scrambling - and can be 'weedy' in warmer areas. Tolerates being snipped - and can be somewhat wayward...

• vaskirt
    19 years ago

I don't understand why you want it to loose it's leaves ? iI have several wire topiaries ( lamb, deer, and a goose ) I use different ivy for each one. the best for detail is needlepoint or birdfoot.Please e-mail me, maybe I can help.

Sponsored
King Construction Company LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Loudoun County, VA Custom Builder for Equestrian Facilities