Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kskitte

Espalier

kskitte
22 years ago

I am wondering if there should be a separate forum for Espalier? I am researching plants to espalier against the brick wall at the front of my house. Faces west. I'd like something evergreen, showy, blooms, bears some kind of fruit, hopefully is very fragrant and grows relatively fast. Sounds impossible doesn't it.

I've always loved the look of espalier and would like to talk about it with others who have experience doing it.

I'm in a zone 6 area in the Ozarks. Rocky yard. The area I'm going to place the tree is against a west facing brick wall in an L with a South facing wall. The front of the house and the garage wall form a right angle and the corner is facing nearly due west. This creates an angle that acts as a heat sink.

Comments (7)

• nandina
    22 years ago

After thinking about your question I would suggest one of two plants for your heat sink. Pyracantha, which should remain semi-evergreen. Or, anything in the Quince family. This is not evergreen in the winter but the bare branches have interesting texture.
    There really is not much to discuss in the technique of espalier. You string several tiers of grape wire, secure the branches to it and prune the plant into the shape you wish.

• miSago
    22 years ago

fire thorn, pyrocantha work well

• njsunshine72045
    21 years ago

Have had some success with pyrocantha, espaliering it on my fence. you have to be really merciless and cut it back hard on the non-lateral branches. It is often done with fruit trees and is amazing how well they produce when properly trimmed. there are many books of the subject and i am hardly an expert. check out your local library, where they can be much more detailed that we can be here. good luck!

• Terry_Day
    21 years ago

While not evergreen, Wisteria would provide fragrance and incredible spring beauty with beautiful racemes of either purple or white. It grows very fast (some would say *too* fast). My parents have this planted on an espalier on the side of their home in Russellville, Arkansas and it is absolutely breathtaking. People drive by, stop and take pictures of this beautiful display every spring. The bare vine espalier looks like a painting in the winter. It is truly a lovely sight alll year.

• lovemyhubby
    21 years ago

One word of caution about the wisteria...If you have a basement I wouldn't plant it next to the house. I worked in a green house for years and the roots are as evasive as the branches. But it is striking!! I also have one growing over a trellise.

• miamimary
    13 years ago

I'm interested in an espalier of pyrocantha but DOWNWARD over a 8 foot retaining wall. There is nowhere at the base of the wall (only a concrete parking pad) to plant it but it would look terrific cascading down from the top. Can they be trained to do that?

The orange berry form would look great on the tan-brown stones of the wall.

Thanks for any help!

• baggz
    13 years ago

Yes there is a way... try working with more then one plant, same place or pot even, if you want to have it green longer but still have some show to it each year. I have had great success with doing that. Use any plant that is for your zone... or higher and of course likes heat. As for planting a plant to grow downward. Put it in a well drained pot of some kind...even fancy concrete that you make using the peet moss method as the sand. This will work for the plant you want on the concrete drive way too.

Here is a link that might be useful: break time (__)o have a LQQK see and a listen

Sponsored