Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant Choices for Topiary Frame

Posted by llm918 z5PA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 13, 04 at 18:30

I'm looking for something to plant outside of a topiary frame. The topiary would be set in a mainly sunny area.
I am looking for something with a small dark green leaf, and if it gets flowers that would be OK, but I prefer small flowers - but not yellow. I know I can use Ivy, but I know from experience that many types of Ivy can be invasive. And if I do use Ivy, I would prefer something that would stay tight against the form and that won't grow too wild looking thus hiding the form that I've attempted to create. I'd like to put the form in place and grow the plants in the ground at the base. I've considered Morning Glory for this, but if anyone could offer me any different options I'd really appreciate your help.
Thank you. LLM

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant Choices for Topiary Frame

If you are worried that ivy is invasive, forget the morning glory. It is very very invasive. If you bump into it, it sprays seeds and then you will be overrun.
Try a passion flower vine or clematis. Or even honey suckle would be nice, and fill in with a slower groweing plant for variety. Lucifer's blood or lucifer vine is very pretty with feathry light green foliage and bright red blooms on the ends. It is a great hanging plant.
I have used an ivy that was a sweetheart variety that grew very slowly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here