Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
topie_gw

Anyone have Ideas for yew companions?

topie
15 years ago

Just wondering if anyone may have any suggestions for companion plants for a yew hedge? I would like to find something for a border in front of the yew hedge, to soften the extremely rectangular and severe geometric shape of the yew.

The yew hedge is on the NORTH side of our house. There is not much sun in this area, but not a huge amount of moisture either. A minimal amount of sun falls over the yew hedge from the east, as well as from the west.

The yew hedge borders our front porch, and grows in a fairly narrow strip of earth that then slopes abruptly down to the road. The yew hedge seems to love its environment, and seems quite healthy and robust. I think it must have good drainage because of the slope it's perched on.

Will anything grow near a yew hedge in these moisture and light conditions? North America, Zone 6a.

I've heard that "nothing grows beneath a yew"? Is this true?

Comments (2)

• wildflower12
    15 years ago

Sounds just like my front yard. Actually you have the ideal conditions for many plants. Morning and afternoon sun are great and if you run a garden soaker hose under the mulch, you shouldn't have any worries about water.
    Everything grows in my garden with similar conditions.
    Astilbes make a wonderful addition and only really need to be watered diligently for the first year. Hostas will grow any where and there are a number of new ones out there now so you don't have use your Mother's (although if you are on a budget that is not a bad idea).Heuchera, you know them as coral bells, also do well but require more water if you are getting hot afternoon sun in the summer.
    Stay away from ferns and other woodland plants as they like moist conditions and remember that your yews are in love with acid soil so if they are thriving you should stick with plants that agree with this.
    You may also want to extend your border in front of the yews with a softer edge. Curved edges not only make your border more appealing to the eye, but are easier to mow around. With the extension of your border you can see if the sun comes closer to the outer edge and plant some other goodies here.
    Just remember to plant in clumps of odd numbers, 3 is good, and not in a straight line. You are trying to correct that look.
    And don't forget annuals for a colorful summer. There are so many that will grow in those conditions and you are in a great zone for many other plants that I can only dream of in New England.
    Go to the websites of nurseries that sell online, but don't buy from them, just get ideas. Make lists and drawings and head to your local nursery where you can get healthier plants already established for your area and the sound advice of a reliable nursery person.
    Good luck.

• topie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you wildflower 12 for your suggestions! That's a good point about the acid soil. I love ferns but I think you're right about the moistness factor...I'll try the ferns on a different side of the house that more shaded and more moist. I like Astilbes a lot and think I'll try those along with some hosta, and some annuals for added flowering. Thanks also for the three-dimensional planning tips...I'm looking forward to making that straight line more organic-looking and curvy.

-Topie