Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Plant for Wire Frame Topiary

Posted by skylark157 10, SE Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 12, 09 at 1:10

Hello,

I moved from New England to Florida about six years ago and during the move, I transplanted some dwarf boxwood plants that had some chicken wire topiary frames. Most the plants did not make it after the first year and the those that did, never grew very much, not nearly as well as they did in NE. After awhile they looked so hideous, I had to take them out. I see boxwoods for sale in local Lowes but I was told by a local nursery that they are not good for my climate. I still have my chicken wire topiary frames and I am wondering if anyone can suggest a good plant for me to put in them. My family and I really loved our topiaries and I would like to have them again but I do not know the best plant for them.

I thank you in advance for any assistance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Plant for Wire Frame Topiary

Your local nurseries should have creeping rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis 'Prostratus'.) Long lived, easy to train and prune to shape. Plus the bonus of winter blooms. One of my favorite outdoor topiary plants. Look for sturdy plants with multiple leads and place one at each chicken leg. Strip off the rosemary needles around the leg sections and wind the stems around each other up to where the body begins. As they grow you will quickly figure out how to deal with their growth pattern. It may be necessary to use small pieces of single-wrap velcro to secure branches in place during the shaping process.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here