Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crazy idea for a frame??

Posted by NancyBee N Cal (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 3, 04 at 3:22

At Christmas time I've seen deer fashioned out of twigs on peoples lawns. Wouldn't that be good for a frame? And if I wanted to find such a twig figure, what is it called and where would I find one? Or how would I make one myself and what kind of twigs would I use? All sorts of questions present themselves

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crazy idea for a frame??

Well, similarly I've seen those made of dried grape vines (shaped while still green). Sure you can fashion a kind of topiary out of them,using an ivy to grow around the plant. But I just don't know how long these twig topiary frames would last. Over time I suppose it will start to decay.

o
RE: Crazy idea for a frame??

In CA you see deer topiaries growing on those deer all the time...nope, you're not crazy at all.

There are spray sealers that you can use to prolong the life of your frame. Also, setting it on stepping stones (or a good bed of pea gravel) will keep it out of standing water. Just a thought.

In UT, it would blow away, unless I found a way to run a piece of re-bar through two of the legs and sink it in the ground. That would also keep kids and cats from messing with it as much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here