Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katie2_gw

Eugenia Topiary

katie2
21 years ago

Hi I just recently acquired a eugenia topiary...I am un sure of how to care for my new acquisiton. It is a double ball and the bottom ball seems to be much more sparse than the top-how can I get it to fill out? How do I trim it, i.e. pinching the leaves or pruning? How much water should it have and I noticed that when i lift up the moss that covers the soil little tiny bugs that look like fruit flies fly up...should i be concerned about this?

Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (16)

• gardengrey
    21 years ago

I also have a Eugenia Topiary that is doing well. It is outside in a container (zone 6) and I'll bring it inside for the winter. The optimum temperature for Eugenia is about 70-80 degrees. It seems to enjoy medium to bright light but no direct sun. I believe that the Eugenia is in the same family as myrtle, but am not positive. I'll try to look bit farther for you. I do know thatEugenia resists change, so give it as even an existence as possible

• dot29
    17 years ago

I have acquired a 10" Eugenia Topiary it is currently planted in my front yard garden....my concern is that winter is rapidly approaching.....where I live the temperature can easily reach -30 degress celcius....what do I do to protect my tree from the winter weather...any help or advise will be very much appreciated

• lijjys
    16 years ago

I have a pair of Eugenia double-ball topiaries flanking my front door. It is a location that does not get much direct sun, if any. I now realize that one side of the door tends to get more light than the other and those plants (I also have lamium planted in the containers with the Eugenia) are doing much better than the side that does not get as much light.

Although I've read that the Eugenia will tolerate low light, the side getting more light is growing nicely, getting larger, etc., and the other has not changed much. It's frustrating, because I'd like a symmetric look around the door. My latest concern is with the dropping of leaves... the side that is not getting as much light has begun to drop its leaves. Is this most always a cause of not enough water or could it be caused by too much? The lower ball is really looking skimpy now that the leaves are dropping and I'm afraid I'll never get it to catch up. Any ideas? Fertilizer?

• AACANOSA_NETSCAPE_COM
    16 years ago

I brought my Eugenia in for the winter. I am storing it in my garage. Does this plant go dormant for the winter. I have been watering on a monthly basis since I took it in the garage. The leaves are brown at this time. I live in CT and the winters are below freezing. Thanks for you help.
    Regards, Al Canosa

• bfrey
    15 years ago

Hi
    I have two eugenia topiaries and on the top ball of one of the plants to leaves turned all brown and fell off - the rest of the plant looks great - will this area fill in again? please help as I love these plants
    Barb

• scweedeater
    15 years ago

Barb,

Did the top ball ever fill back in for you? I have the same problem. Two topiaries flanking my entrance and the top ball of one is brown, but the rest of it is still lush. I've watered them the same, so I guess one has received more sun and dried out.

Tina

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

Tina, have you tried trimming away all the brown bits of the one that appears dead? It may take awhile, but it could grow back in.

• mmayerct
    15 years ago

I have two 5 foot Eugenia topiaries. One received more sun then the other and definitely grew bigger. They required TONS of water. Besides that, they did great here in CT during the summer. I have now moved them indoors to a situation with much less light. They both have begun to drop green leaves. Could be adjusting to indoors, too much water or too little water...not sure. Has anyone had success moving these plants indoors for the winter?

• PATJUNEGRIFF_AOL_COM
    12 years ago

i HAVE LITTLE WHITE FUZZY BALLS ON BOTH eUGENIAS. wHAT ARE THESE? aRE THEY HARMFUL/

• smiles4evr27_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Attn: June Patton
    The little white fuzzy balls are not harmful. They are small white flowers which are followed by edible rose-purple fruit.

• smiles4evr27_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Attn: June Patton
    The little white fuzzy balls are not harmful. They are small white flowers which are followed by edible rose-purple fruit.

• Freebird11
    12 years ago

This highly ornamental plant is very suitable for formal gardens and flanking entrance ways. Sometimes called "Australian Brush-Cherry," it is a vigorous evergreen, compact shrub with vivid red leaves when young, later changing to shining green. Fluffy white flowers followed by red berries

• elisecw
    7 years ago
    Any success with bringing these topiaries indoors for the winter here in MI? I know this is an old post but I'd like to start bringing them in and know there's probably a process I should try to follow. Any tips would be appreciated!
  • Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    7 years ago

elisecw,

I can't give you any thoughts as to how to prepare this to bring it through the winter. I just wanted to applaud your efforts. This appears not to be a very active forum. Pity. I have a dog that I plan to grow as soon as I can get some measurements and plants.

There must be some reason that you are questioning bringing then inside. In Michigan, I don't think I'd hesitate to do that. I don't think it's too heavy that you can't get some muscle to help with this job. Good luck.

It sounds like you have more than just this one. Here's hoping that you have a lot of success.

• HU-735056731
    4 years ago

I have a tree that some of the limbs are Dead should it I break off the dead limbs If I break the limbs off it will look real bad . So if I break the dead limbs off will news grow back in .

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists