Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trimming a spiral juniper

Posted by barbielause z5 OH (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 04 at 19:24

How do I prune a Moonlight Spiral Juniper to keep its shape? IT was in the nursery pot for 2 years when we rescued it from a neighbor who did not want it, and it is growing fine. I am just unsure how to keep it in shape.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trimming a spiral juniper

I've never heard of a moonlight variety but then again I don't know all the varieties of junipers. However, by your description, your plant already has a spiral shape.. maybe a bit overgrown, but there is still some discernable shape. Take very visible twine and line the plant following the spiral. Take a pair of pruners or scissor and start trimming starting from the innermost portion first. Once you are satisfied with the depth and you start seeing a shape, slowly work yourself outwards. Keep in mind that it will take the plant very long to recover should you trim off a major branch. So take your time and do not hardprune. Stand back often to observe your progress. I would advise that you look into some topiary books, even if you should only read them while visiting a bookstore.. Read up on techniques of trimming the plant. It's very difficult really. In fact, in your case the shaping has already been done for you and all you need to do is to follow the shape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here