Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I care for my Rosemary Topiary

Posted by
Elizabeth - PA
(colleecook@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Apr 21, 00 at 21:28

I won a rosemary topiary as a door prize. Can I put it out on my patio with my other containers?

And what about the shape. i'm not keen on maintaining it. Can I let it grow naturally or will it look silly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I care for my Rosemary Topiary

I made a rosemary topiary and had it for many years until I tired of it and gave it to a friend. I kept it outdoors in summer and indoors in winter. (Zone 5) In spite of some garden books that said to grow it on the dry side, I always kept it well watered or the branches would dry up. It doesn't take much work to maintain its shape with an occasional trimming and it will make a nice addition to your container plants on your patio. Fertilize it when you do your other containers. In addition to smelling great, it also may surprise you with lavender blooms.

o

It should be fine if you let it go back to a more natural shape though it could go through an awkward stage. Upright rosemaries are really easy to maintain, just trim them like you do your hedges. Trailing rosemaries can be let loose to ramble with just a snip or two if they get out of hand.
I agree with Barbara about watering. Rosemary doesn't like to get bone dry; they turn toes up and die quickly if they're in a container especially. I keep mine on the dry side of moist and they do fine. If you keep yours in the window, you may find that it will get nectar and petals all over the glass when it flowers.

Veronica

o

Most growers of Herb plants in general do not add lime to the growing mix or top dress their container plants as the herb plants need a raised ph.I use pellett lime for this and it does as much for plant growth/health as a shot of water soluble fertilizer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here