Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foster holly--time to grow back from pruning?

Posted by Monkeyleg none (My Page) on
Sun, May 5, 13 at 3:17

When we moved into this house, the previous owners had done a nice topiary job on two foster holly trees at the front of the house. Each was about 8 feet tall, and had three neatly-trimmed balls of leaves at the bottom, the middle and the top.

I was able to keep up with them and keep them looking good. Then, in a drought in 2011, I didn't water them enough. Half of each of the trees got dry enough that the branches were dead.

The local university outreach office suggested I cut the trees all the way back to the trunks, and let them grow out again. This is now the second summer, and they're still not at a point where I can shape them.

Does anyone here have experience with these trees? Do they take years before they're full enough to shape? I've considered taking them out and replacing them with something faster-growing, but maybe I just need to be patient.

Thanks for any replies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here