Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gemfire55

Anyone try strawberries?

Pam Honeycutt
17 years ago

Since Strawberries have runners, wouldn't they be good for topiaries?

Comments please.

Thanks,

Gemfire

Comments (3)

• ianna
    17 years ago

You mean to plant it around a wire frame -- that sort of topiary. The answer depends on the ultimate size of the container. And also whether you can keep it's roots from drying out because it will happen with wire frame planters. Unlike ivy plants, the strawberries will have to be planted in the frame itself and it produces more roots than say a creeping jenny or thyme..The roots will also very easily fill out the container, so it will need more work to maintain it's health.

I like the way you have developed your observation of what other plants can be used for this purpose and I would encourage you to experiment with this idea and to report back to us here about the success rate.

Ianna

• Pam Honeycutt
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello Ianna,

Thanks for responding. My mother is giving me one of those large Deer that have lights people put on there lawns during the Christmas Holidays. I'm thinking I'd put chicken wire over the existing, then line it with moss and fill it with a good potting soil. Then put the plants in through the moss to the soil and hopefully let them spread to cover. I'm looking for something that can take full sun in Mesa, AZ. I thought of strawberries because they have runners but if anyone has any other suggests I'd appreciate them.

Thanks,
    Pam

• ianna
    17 years ago

Well, you are in a zone 10 which makes it easier to use tropiocals. It all depends on location(sun, shade, etc) and your habits - Some people prefer a very little maintenance topiary, while others prefer to groom it frequently. You can use virtually any plant that can be container grown. Root system shouldn't occupy too much of a space - so no deep rooted plants.

So: Here are several plant choices

Mondo grass (spiky blackish blades - looks like thufts of hair)
    Creeping jenny - sets out long runners and can cover up a space fast. Looks great.
    creeping fig (tropical) evergreen.
    hens and chicks (succulents) - hardly any watering
    sedums (succulents) - very little watering
    Echeveria - (succulents) - great array of echeverias -
    ivy
    creeping thyme
    Herbs like parsley, thyme, oregano

The trick to this sort of planting is that should one plant die, you should be able to remove that plug and replace it easily.

Also, just a suggestion, spray paint your frame black. It's a great colour for topiary frames.

Got to go.

Ianna

Sponsored