Return to the Topiary Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Creeping fig question

Posted by Mike_Olbinski z8 AZ (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 04 at 12:48

I have 4 figs in my backyard, all are growing well, but they are against cement block walls...

They seem to sometimes grow up, and attach, but as they get taller, the top parts will separate from the wall and just start to hang down.

I also have some places where a lot of branches that have cris-crossed, are coming off the wall, and hanging down.

Am I worried for no reason that they wont eventually cover this entire wall? or do they have a hard time sometimes on certain surfaces?

Thanks for any advice!

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Creeping fig question

Give them a hair cut. Trim off the hanging branches. It is necessary to keep creeping fig trimmed close to a wall for all over growth. Won't hurt it a bit and it will begin clinging to the wall again and give you full coverage.

o

We use them to cover our cement walls (back home in Southeast Asia). Usually the walls are rough enough for the plants to cling to. You can imbed something for them to cling if you like. Can you imbed nails just so (and not too protruding)for the 'roots' to grab hold? Can you use some wires or netting (invisible ones) to hold the plants in place until they can get a good grip on the wall. Oh and like Nandina said, they need good haircuts.

o

Thanks guy!

I actually did some of the hair cut trimming, and that seemed to work. I'll just make sure I keep up on them, and keep hanging branches trimmed.

Our walls are probably rough enough, I know one of them has really attached well.

I really love these vines, they are just so nice looking when they start covering the wall.

Mike

o

Does anyone have advice on getting it to stick? Mine is gowing through it's first growth spurt - doesn't have the long hanging bits yet - but won't adhere to the wall. We have a net up and everything trying to keep it as close as possible to the wall but to no avail. Thanks for any help!

o

Wow, I totally forgot about this place :)

Anyways, to make mine grow faster, I drilled some trellis's to the wall...

Here is what's I've done:
http://www.theolbinskis.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10003/2006_0513Backyard0010.JPG

http://www.theolbinskis.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10003/2006_0513Backyard0021.JPG

It really made them take off...

You have to drill each in with about 7-8 concrete wall screws.

Good luck!

o

I have some creeping fig growing up a brick wall. How do i keep it growing upward and not covering the ground as well?

o

We just planted a creeping fig next to our block wall but are now having second thoughts. Will this plant undermine the wall? Is it too invasive? Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Topiary Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here