Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tabbaldwin

Spiral juniper--maintenance Qs

tracey_b
18 years ago

I have 2 spiral blue junipers at my entrance--for about 6 years now. They are SO tall. I don't recall now their exact name or info, but I seem to recall 12' stated for their height. However, they're now about 15' and I don't want them any taller....can I top them out without sacrificing their appearance? Luckily, I have a tall entrance so looks isn't a problem, but it's hard to prune them.

Also, when is the best time to trim/prune them?

Will they transplant well if I have to dig them up? The winter ice really leaned them over. Staking is working right now, but they really need to be re-set. I'm also thinking it might be time to replace them, but it would be SO expensive.

Thank you.

Tracey

Comments (4)

• ianna
    18 years ago

I would not recommend transplanting mature plants and established plants. You could however, carefully dig a hole beneath the tree's roots ts that you could adjust it to upright position. This should be a careful process, taking care not to do damage to the roots. Best to give the plant a good watering a good day or half day before doing the job. Once upright, secure in place with a stake. Fill in the hole with more dirt.

As for pruning. Sure you could chop off the top to prevent it from growing taller. It would encourage the plant to produce more foliage. If you have an idea on how to shape this by imagining the top of a soft serve ice cream cone. the top is tapered off and that's what you should do to spirals.

Trimming is best done when it's not too hot or sunny, or during a prolonged dry spell. With junipers, expect to see some browning where it's been trimmed. This is the unfortunately feature of junipers, but in time when it will diminish.

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the reply! So, shaping the top (and therefore keeping it from growing taller) is common practice? Wish I'd done it a foot of growth ago!

Thanks for the advice.

Tracey

• ianna
    18 years ago

Basically cut the leader or the tip of the trunk but do it in a way that is in keeping with the spiral. If you are not sure, use a tape as a guide following the spiral and coil it until you reach the top.

Don't complain, if you have a 15 ft plant then you are doing something right.

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Ianna. I'm thinking that they shouldn't be growing much taller....so I may wait and see this year before topping them out, but I'm so glad to know I won't deform them if I do it (properly, of course).

These 2 spirals are "special". We'd built our new home, finishing in early summer. No more money to spend on it, but I wanted to get something done to the front--landscaping-wise, and we'd decided low-maintenance for the front (all evergreen). Anyway, I drove all over the place and came upon K-mart with their shrubs at about 75% off! Couldn't believe it. There were these 2 really niced-sized (already!) spiral junipers, well-kept for that time of season (in other words--not near death), and ONLY $17.50 each!!!!!!! I also got enough yews to do the front and sides of the house--only about $1.25 each! So, I really can't complain if we someday have to replace them and spend actual money on them :-)

Anyway, thank you for your suggestions on the junipers. I appreciate it.

Happy Gardening!
    Tracey

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler